Learn About Ag... California Specialty Crops
Specialty crops are fruits and tree nuts, vegetables, herbs and spices, nursery, floriculture, and horticulture crops. They're the commodities that are not considered staple foods. California produces more than 400 different commodities, many of which are specialty crops. They're all around us!
What's Growin' On?: CA Crop Talk - Specialty Crops Edition
This 16-page newspaper highlights the many agricultural products of California. Activities, trivia, readings, and graphics are sprinkled throughout providing a connection for every learner. Many activites are aligned to the Content Standards for California Public Schools.
What's Growin' On?: Extra! Extra! Classroom Extensions
This teacher resource offers extensions to activities related to the content of What's Growin' On? newspaper supplement.
Invasive Species Fact Sheet Set
Get the facts to help prevent the damage caused by invasive species to California's Specialty Crops.
- Request your free copy of the entire set (includes The Invaders! introduction sheet).
- Download Entire Set (PDF, 15.2 MB)
- Asian Citrus Psyllid Worksheet Template (PDF, 19 MB)
California Specialty Crop Resource Packet
In this guide, you will discover the many ways we use specialty crops and learn how to use them in the classroom to make a lasting connection between our everyday lives and the world of agriculture.
California Grows... Map
The California Grows map shows the top three commodities in all of California's counties. Specialty crops in each county are highlighted.
Ag-Bites are bite-sized activities for bringing agriculture into your classroom. These three Ag-Bite activities feature California specialty crops.
- Tops or Bottoms for Grades K-3 (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Tasty Testing for Grades 9-12 (PDF, 370 KB)
- Asparagus for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 357 KB)
WE Garden Sheets
The purpose of the WE Garden activity sheets is to educate and inspire Californians about the important lessons gardens teach to students, children and people of all ages—lessons rooted in nutrition, healthy living, agriculture, science, history and service. These five WE Garden activities teach lessons related to California specialty crops.
- Seed Match for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 537 KB)
- My Life as a Fruit or Vegetable for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 161 KB)
- Frozen, Canned or Fresh? for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 478 KB)
- California Crops for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 215 KB)
- Busy Bees for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 433 KB)
This page was brought to you from a Specialty Crop Block Grant offered by California Department of Food and Agriculture.